We have three steam locomotives based at the East Somerset Railway.

Lady Nan

Barclay 0-4-0ST No.1719 'Lady Nan' was built by Andrew Barclay & Sons Company Limited in 1920.

1719 has had an array of names including 'Hurlford Fireclay Works No.2' and 'Glenfield No.2'.

By early 1966, 1719 was offered for sale but was not sold until March 1972 to a local scrap merchant and later that month she was resold just before scrapping was due to commence.

1719 was moved for storage purposes to the National Coal Board in Northumberland on 14th April 1972, then on the 6th May 1973 she was moved to Radstock for a further period of storage, until 5th November 1975 when she moved to the East Somerset Railway.

1719 was still known as 'Glenfield No.2' when a complete overhaul began in 1978 and in 1984 she was purchased by Nan and Dick Bellchambers.  Shortly after the purchase, the overhaul was completed and she emerged in 1985 in blue livery, renamed 'Lady Nan'.

'Lady Nan' was hired to the National Railway Museum at York but she returned to the East Somerset Railway during 2000.

In March 2005, a second overhaul of 'Lady Nan' began and she returned to service in 2007.  The third overhaul was far quicker and took place over several months in 2017, letting 'Lady Nan' get back to proudly running our Driver for a Tenner!

46447

128 Ivatt locomotives were built between 1946 and 1953, with Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 46447 built at Crewe in 1950.

46447 was first allocated to the Crewe North shed and worked in and around the north of England and Wales.

In December 1966, 46447 was withdrawn from service and sold to Woodham Brothers for scrap.  On 7th June 1972, 46447 was purchased by the Ivatt Locomotive Trust and moved to Quainton Road, Buckinghamshire.  Restoration was started but the Ivatt Locomotive Trust subsequently decided that 46447's future was to be at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway and she was transferred to Havenstreet during October 2008.

After initial conservation, work was halted on 46447 and she was stored pending restoration as a static exhibit.  In 2012, a deal was made between the Isle of Wight Railway and the East Somerset Railway for 46447 to move to the East Somerset Railway, with an agreement that it was restored to running order.

46447 underwent a complete overhaul and returned to service on the 26th October 2014 (her first day of passenger service since 1966), which was a break of 48 years.

46447 continues to be on loan to the East Somerset Railway and it is one of our two main engines.

4110

4110 was built at Swindon in 1936 and initially allocated in October of that year to Severn Tunnel Junction to undertake tunnel banking duties. Two months later it was moved to the Wolverhampton district where it stayed for most of the next 26 years. It operated on the intensive local passenger services from Birmingham Snow Hill and Moor Street stations to Leamington Spa, Stratford upon Avon and Warwickshire in general. In March 1942 until April 1943 it was based at Birkenhead before returning to the West Midlands area until 1962 when it was deployed at Taunton on the branch line to Minehead which is now the West Somerset Railway. It went briefly to Swindon and then on to Neath in July 1963 where it worked the Vale of Neath line to Pontypool Road until its last day of passenger services in June 1964. It was withdrawn in June 1965 during the conversion from steam to diesel haulage, having run over 730,000 miles in mainline service. It was sold for scrap to Woodham Brothers at Barry and entered the scrapyard in August 1965. It remained there until May 1979 following its purchase for preservation by the Great Western Preservation Group at Southall Railway Centre. It was the 100th locomotive to leave the Barry scrapyard. 4110 then moved to the Birmingham Railway Museum at Tyseley for contract restoration. Only a partial amount of restoration was completed before the owners decided to put the engine up for sale in order to release funds for the completion of work on 5700 class engine 9682.

The West Somerset Railway put in a competitive tender and bought 4110 in 2015 and the locomotive was then moved to Minehead in June 2015. In 2016 it was estimated that it would take three to five years once the funds and resources to undertake the work were available. The plan was to return it to traffic in 2022. With no work having been done on the locomotive by May 2018 consideration was being given by the West Somerset Railway to a possible sale of the locomotive. Any sale would be conditional on the locomotive being hired back to the WSR once it was restored. It was later announced that the locomotive had been sold to the Paignton and Dartmouth Railway as this was the best bid and the WSR needed the funds. The locomotive was moved to the Dartmouth Steam Railway in February 2019. In September 2019 the East Somerset Railway completed a deal with the Dartmouth Steam Railway to restore the locomotive. which would then operate on the ESR for the first 3 years before being returned to the DSR. The locomotive moved to ESR at Cranmore in January 2020 and restoration work was planned to start straight away. The boiler was lifted off the frames in February 2020 following the removal of the tanks, cab and bunker. Unfortunately soon after this, the Covid pandemic hit and all work in the workshop had to pause. As soon as restrictions were eased, the team had safe procedures in place to enable the restoration to continue. The boiler had a fair amount of new steel platework replaced along with hundreds of stays and rivets. A new set of boiler tubes and flues were installed before the boiler could be refilled with water ready for testing. Whilst this boiler work was going on, brand new tanks and a new bunker were riveted and welded together. Being a survivor from Barry Scrapyard, the loco no longer had any copper pipes or bronze fittings so everything had to be made new. The frames, wheels, motion and axleboxes were all completely stripped down to their individual parts, cleaned, inspected, repaired or made new as required before reassembly. In August 2022 a fire was lit in the boiler of the locomotive for the first time since June 1965. In March 2023, 4110 returned to traffic and will be hauling the passenger service at the East Somerset Railway until 2026.

Locomotive