Photo Gallery for 'GWR Crane 2'
GWR 36-ton steam breakdown crane no.2 was built by Ransomes & Rapier Ltd. of Ipswich in 1908 and at the time of delivery it was the largest-capacity breakdown crane constructed for any British railway. Based at Swindon all its life, the crane was sold in 1975 to the Dart Valley Light Railway Co. in Devon and spent the next 15 years on both the Paignton and Buckfastleigh lines. Sold in 1989, it was displayed at the "NRM On Tour" exhibition at Swindon in 1990 before being moved to the Rover factory at Swindon for storage for a number of years before coming to Cranmore on 1996. More pictures of this crane can be found in other galleries.